Ok, I might sound like a bitch, but let me tell you why I find all of the above appalling.
One of the main aspects of the web is the WW bit, it stands for "Word Wide" (yeah, yeah, I know you know). What that actually means is, it's available to anyone and everyone in the world (allow me a rose tinted glasses moment) and is controlled and owned by nobody. This means that even a blind man in outer mongolia has the right to expect to browse the internet as freely and easily as anybody else (this is what WAI/508 is all about) ...... lets follow him as he hits a "webmasters" site using a text reader :-
- Every image is replaced by the alt text ..... if only they'd included some
- Every bit of CSS fails, but that's alright because they haven't discovered CSS yet.
- All of the nested tables used make the poor text reader work like a demon trying to understand what follows what, now all of the remaining content is starting to sound jibberish, and you can't navigate to another page because the navigation failed with the flash.
What do I know?
So, if you're a webmaster and you happen to be reading this, here's what I recomend:-
- Your website should not make use of excessive tables for layouts.
- Your website should validate for both (x)html and css and, ideally, WAI/508 (this now becoming a legal requirement in several countries, especially for any websites that have anything to do with the government).
- Your website should work in all major browsers.
- Your website should work at all screen resolutions.